Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Post 7, Tess Grogan

Shorter shower
No heat in room at Dad's house
No chocolate/candy wrappers
No school silverware/milk

I remembered a fork today. Last minute, at 7:30 this morning as I was stuffing my leftover alfredo in my bag, I remembered to snag a fork. Today I'll be using my Nalgene a lot (no milk!) because I have a game today. Last night I was cold (no heat, rainy day) but the pellet stove was running so I didn't go into my room much, just curled up in front of that. My shower was pretty short because I wanted to get to bed on time, so I didn't draw it out. We totally got takeout last night though, which is against the spirit of this whole thing - Dad got in late from work. We were going to make stir-fry, but that way we wouldn't have eaten until 8:30 or so.

My senior x presentation was yesterday, and made me thing a lot about low/no impact. Pottery is an interesting subject in those terms because of its relation to both permanence and recycling. You don't throw out wasted clay, you recycle it. However, the ultimate goal of the thing is to create something permanent - with an impact - that no amount of water will destroy. Is that bad, just because it has an impact? It creates "trash" for future generations - shards of broken ceramics found in an archaeological dig. If we have no impact then we have no history, and I don't think anyone wants that.

No comments:

Post a Comment