Friday, May 21, 2010

Green light GO!

1) No new plastic bags and less meat
2) Stereo not on 24/7
3) No Styrofoam
4) Recycle

Last night and so far today I failed the majority of challenges. I havent used a plastic bag when I made purchases (I think). Last night I had meat though for my dinner and I ate it on a Styrofoam plate. Recycling I have started to get better at to a certain degree anyway. I have started to at least recycle my paper, so I guess that's a start. I still have a hard time recycling bottles, cans and containers mostly because I don't know where they go. My stereo hasn't been on 24/7 but pretty darn close (I remembered to turn it off this morning, because I took the c.d out and realized it was still on). So that's how things have gone since I blogged yesterday up until right now.

So I think I got awareness from this project, but I don't think it was the kind of awareness that the project was set up to give us. Basically I realized for people who are dedicated and care to do things to help the environment it's not so hard. However if your someone who doesn't feel invested in the environment or the project people seemed to have a harder time. Personally from the beginning of the project I was very sceptical of it doing anything and of my ability to stick with my challenges. My challenges were hard for me because I didn't really see our project benefiting anything and I forgot about the project alot. I forgot my challenges often and I believe that's because I didn't really want to do them. I still am sceptical that the divisions challenges collectively did anything to positively benefit the environment. From what I read of the blog it seems people had a hard time sticking to their challenges and as far as I know no one did anything drastic that directlly affected the environment. However even if these two weeks did little to nothing, I think it raised a lot of peoples awareness. I feel if peoples awareness is raised and if people stick to any of their challenges that in the long run, the division as a whole will have had a positive impact on the environment.
Schools lights of challenge should just stay in place. Not even necessarily to help the environment or lower the schools utility bills but simply because I think it made the class environment better. Not having overly excessive bright fluorescent lights constantly on made people calmer. In addition from personal experience and observation I think there overall were less complaints of headaches in the past two weeks. Less headaches is positve, I know when I have them I'm not listening to anyone (I'll shake my head and give people affirmations that make them believe I'm listening or understand them but in reality I dont).
I personally don't know if I will stick with any of my goals. I think if I were however that it would probably be eating less meat (wasn't that hard for me) and turning my sereo off when I'm not home. I could probablly try to turn unused lights off more as well ( I just dont like walking into a darkroom) especially my bedroom that just wouldnt be a safe thing to do. You would have to magically find away around the boxes, fan, labtop, stereo and possiblly a sword.
Now its time to go indulge in lovely styrofoam goodness. Jk I'm not going to crazy and make strofoam cup towers.....(UNTIL SATURDAY!!!)



Now we all have a green light sceaming GO for impact!

No comments:

Post a Comment