Friday, May 21, 2010

Bag + oily stuff= like stubbing your toe

The last few days of my environmental challenge have been slightly trying.

Not so much in the recycling department, the lights department, or the department for not using disposable bottles... I guess you could say I am a natural at those things.
However, when it came to washing the zip-lock bags, even though at first it was an easy task, for some reason the bags started to get more and more greasy... Not from me. Every time I washed the bags I made sure they were squeaky clean. I actually think I can blame my father rightly for once. I don't exactly know what he is using in his sandwiches besides mustard and mayo (blech) but somehow he has managed to put more and more greasy bags into the sink lately.

Maybe he is just using more mayo and mustard lately... I don't know, but it is making my job really tedious. It is hard enough, sometimes to get sauce or mustard or mayo, etc, off of a container. Add in the "you have to move the bag around your hand because it isn't solid" and you get a disaster...
I learned this through washing the bags... I was kind of in a hurry but I couldn't get the bag squeaky clean like I normally can. I figured at first that maybe after you wash a bag a certain number of times the "squeaky-ness" goes away. The thought was a rather gross one but, it is what it is.
I decided that I was just going to let it dry and see how it felt/looked then. The next day when I went to go do the dishes again, I was putting the dishes away, and I touched it... It was still greasy. I could feel the grease sliding around under my finger tips... and I could feel my face changing expression in disgust.

I was down to two options, either the bag had been used to an unusable state, or I just had to put some elbow-grease into washing it now that it was older (not that it needed any more greasy-ness haha)

Refusing to give up on my goal and admit that maybe it was time to let the bag go to waste, I spent a good five to ten minutes figuring out how to get it clean in the most efficient and non wasteful way.
Eventually I succeeded, and now I can't say I look forward to washing the bags.

I came to the conclusion that washing greasy bags is like stubbing your toe. And because I don't exactly look forward to washing the bags I ask my self this motivating question:Would I stub my toe, willingly, to save the world?

Would you? ... I guess my answer is always yes because I end up washing the bags despite my loathing of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment